Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Tales of San Francisco: pt. 3

Sunday:
Berkeley!

I don't remember the name of the street that we walked down, but it was near UC Berkeley, and there were tons of cool shops. I went to Rasputin, which is another record shop with basically everything. Their entire bottom floor is dedicated to vinyl.

MARS is a cool vintage shop. They sell a plethora of interesting clothiong from back in the day.

Blah blah blah cool shops. Progressive people. etc.

We went to the Berkeley Art Museum, but there was only one exhibit open. It was pretty interesting though...images from space. There was a model of the earth, in rotation, and actual U.S. army satelite points, and the noises we heard were from actual interference with the satelite transmissions.

Lunch time. Movie time- Pacific Film Archive at UC Berkely. We saw the Portuguese film "Doomed Love". It was reminicent of Romeo and Juliet in the sense that these two young people were in love, but their families did not get along, and they both end up dead, but not because of suicide. It was four and a half hours long.

So it was almost 8 p.m. when we got out of there. My sister told me about a lot of these neat places in Berkely, but they were closed, so we couldn't visit. Next time I shall.

Monday:
_Cafes.
_The Parrots of Telegraph Hill.
(There are a flock of parrots that live upon Telegraph hill, which is where Coit Tower is. We walked all the way up there, but alas we did not see the parrots, but did hear them. We guessed that it wasn't their time of congregation yet.)
_Ghirardelli Square. (mmm, Berry Sundae)
_A Church with cool architecture.
_The Queen Anne Hotel (that is said to be haunted).
_Japan Town.
_The Presidio.
_Pet cemetery (yes, that is correct)
_West Portal. Polish Food.

I am getting lazy.
I'll write more later.


- - - -

The train ride home went by a lot faster than my train ride up to San Francisco. I met some cool and interesting people yet again. Once you start talking to people, the trip seems to go by a bit faster. It was fun. Not to mention, that there was someone filming for Current TV, there! They asked me and Chris (I met him on the train), if we wanted to be interviewed. It was about politics, but since I am under 18, and my parents were not on board, I couldn't be filmed.

When I got to Los Angeles, some of us were waiting to get another train to Orange County, and there was this older woman who started talking to me. She knew who the Black Keys were, which I thought was cool. Apparently she went to their show a few months back. I think it's great when older people take time to appreciate some of the newer music, and when youngsters take time to appreciate some of the older stuff, too. She told me that she used to visit San Francisco back in the 60s, and that she was a "country hippie". I could tell that she had many great stories to tell.

No comments: