Friday, August 8, 2008

Which way?

Be prepared for a rant, because I've got a few points to make.
I really dislike it when people are completely ignorant about artists (this goes for all areas in art). Artists are always misunderstood, and as has been the case in the past, are not appreciated until they're gone, or at least not until a good while after they've done what they've done. Suddenly a trend picks up, and what they've done becomes praised by the masses over night. I'm straying from my main point.

There are so many honest creators out there, who just want to do what they love, but it seems that more honest you get, the more criticism you obtain. While, those pseudo "artists" are getting recoginition by the bucket loads, for displaying/performing the very "art" (excuse me, CRAP would be a better word) that they themselves did not create. Meaning, they had to hire people to do it all for them. But worst of all, they're in it just for the money. This is seen most commonly in the mainstream media.

I've also found myself wondering a lot about record labels, and the music industry in general. I hear terrible things about the corporate world. And these days, so many young artists have that DIY ethic. I really support and admire that. So, I ask myself the question "Do I really want to enter the music industry? Do I really want to start a record label?". I find myself with mixed answers.

YES- I want to make a difference. I want to help the musicians out there who have something great to show. I want to make a difference.

NO- I support the DIY ethic, free from a label's help. I don't ever want to associate with the corporate world of the music industry. Major labels disgust me.

But what about the indie labels? I'm all for that. The small labels.

I think I have a lot to learn still.

ALSO, a friend of mine brought this to my attention the other day:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

No comments: