Friday, August 22, 2008

Tales of San Francisco: Part One

I am currently sitting in an office at my sister's place of work in San Francisco. In a couple of hours we are going to be heading to the Outside Lands Festival at Golden Gate Park. I am looking forward to seeing Radiohead, along with a few other acts.

It's funny to think that when Radiohead released the song "Creep", my sister was in high school. She saw them perform when they were still relatively unknown, and she said that they were shy and didn't face the audience. Now here I am, 16 years after the release of "Creep", going to see Radiohead with my sister at a music festival with thousands of people.

I arrived in San Francisco Wednesday night at around 11 p.m. It was a 13 hour train ride with beautiful scenic views. The pacific ocean had never looked more beautiful than it did when I passed through Santa Barbara and neighboring coastal towns. The color is so beautifully blue. It doesn't look the same in Newport Beach or Corona Del Mar. The coastal portion of Northern California is beautiful.

I met some people while on the train. Robert from Holland, and Arielle from Oregon. We talked throughout the ride. T'was nice. We stopped in San Jose, and so the three of us got off the train, and then got back on where the sleeping cars were because we wanted to see the "v.i.p." section of the train, where mere coach passengers such as ourselves were not allowed. The food looked delicious too, which I could have eaten, but I chose not to make a dinner reservation. I heard that the Roasted Game Hen was very good. Haha.

So, I got to my sister's apartment and got settled. The next morning we walked/took the bus to her work (for those of you that are not aware, it is impossible to find a decent parking spot around here. You are better off walking or using public transportation. Cars are better suited for drives outside of the city.) On our way to work, we stopped at this quaint little French cafe where we ate croissants. We arrived at work, and I helped sort through some compact discs in the music archive. Blah blah blah...we then walked around to various shops. I loved this little place called Pens and Needles. They sell artwork/books/etc from local artists. We then stopped at this newly opened eating establishment called "Little Star". They have the best deep dish pizza I have ever eaten. I hardly find good pizza. My mom makes the best pizza, but this pizza was a close second. To all the citizens of Chicago, Illinois, I am sorry but the best deep dish pizza will not be found anywhere in Chicago, but instead in San Francisco, California.

Later that night we took the bart (train/subway) to the SF MOMA (museum of modern art) where the Frida Kahlo and Lee Miller exhibits were being displayed. Lee Miller was a photographer for vogue, as well as a model and war correspondant during WWII. She photographed much of the war, and was the first to go into Normandy. I particularly love the photograph of Picasso and her son, Antony.


After seeing wonderful works of art, we stopped at the Coffee Bean where I so gracefully spilled a bit of my Hot Vanilla on my coat. Then, we took the train home.

More stories to come.

No comments: