Monday, January 12, 2009

Nonpareil Of Favor

I've been doing a lot of thinking in regards to Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? and Skeletal Lamping. I was asked a while back which one I preferred, and when posed with this question, I thought to myself "That's a difficult choice to make. Both albums are constructed in unique ways". I went on to choose Skeletal Lamping, however, because I was listening to those songs more at that time. Shortly thereafter, all I listened to was Hissing Fauna. I enter many phases of music. These phases can last a day, weeks, sometimes even a month or so.

So, my conclusion is this; they are nonpareil. (no pun intended...sort of)


non-pa-reil:
–adjective
1. having no equal; peerless.

Synonyms: alone, incomparable, matchless, only, peerless, singular, unequaled, unexampled, unmatched, unparalleled, unrivaled

I do not think that Hissing Fauna and Skeletal Lamping can be compared in that they are completely different.

With Skeletal Lamping, I feel like Of Montreal took many new directions, musically. It's like a melting pot of sound. Barnes, I feel, was adventurous and bold with this release for that reason.

Hissing Fauna, I feel, is more consistent, and does not jump around as much.

These two albums are two separate entities, and each album has their own grouping.

It is all subjective. These are two drastically different albums.

This is turning into a rant of sorts.

My final point is, I am not going to pick between the two. Although, right now, I'm still in my Hissing Fauna phase. That could all change come sunrise tomorrow.

Music is forever changing.

Perhaps one day I'll come to a solid conclusion, and when I do, I'll let you all know.

I think that the title of this post, and the whole argument I made with "nonpareil" may have in fact contradicted my whole point.

Oh well.

I apologize for this poorly written post.

1 comment:

raymond said...

thank you for post this!

i'm so glad we had our discussion!

i too was going to blog this, but i feel you are enough.