Sunday, October 5, 2008

We love music.

Music is my solace. I find myself going through different cycles of music. Of course, collectives/musicians such as Bright Eyes, Arcade Fire, and Sufjan Stevens will always remain dear to my heart. What I listen to each day really depends on my mood, in a way. One day all I'll listen to is Late of the Pier, and then the next day it would be something a bit softer such as Yann Tiersen.

I'm not sure what my point is anymore. The post sounded great inside my head, but not so much as I write it.

Maybe, I'm trying to say that everyone should give various types of music a chance. Don't stick to just one thing. We all have our preferences, but it's ok to step outside a bit and explore. By exploring, I don't mean the Top 40. Although, perhaps you'd like to educate yourself on what the majority of people are listening to, realize it is all rubbish, and feel comforted in knowing that you don't dwell in those waters, if that makes you happy and what not. But at the end of the day, why should we care who listens to what? I mean, really. Let's be rational human beings for a split second, here. Ok, time's up. We're hypocrites, that's why. I take music seriously many times. I was having a discussion with a friend this week about this, and we agreed that people can be pretty hypocritical about all of this. We will gladly condemn Fall Out Boy, but at the end of the day, I don't really care who listens to what. Or do I? Does it matter? In the grand scheme of things, no. It does not. But we make it matter somehow. It's all really ironic. I am going to stop now. Think what you may. Listen to what you may.

Lately, I have re-visited my Arcade Fire days. Yesterday as I cooked my homemade meal, I listened to M. Ward's "Post War" and Arcade Fire's "Funeral" various times. It was so pleasant, and nostalgic. (But, really, when am I not feeling nostalgic?)

As for new music, I have this list of artists (more so mental than a physical list. Though I did have a list that extended onto various small pieces of paper that have vanished somehow) that I need to explore a bit more, but then I never get around to it. Perhaps I shall do my research tonight on a few bands, and report within the week.

No comments: