Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Face it, we're living in war times.

Literature and writing in general is a great interest of mine. Today in English we went over some seemingly basic ideas about poetry such as; it has to have an image. Fair enough. Seems easy, right? Not necessarily. This means that every word matters, and must be carefully placed in order to orchestrate a poem that places a certain image in your head. No pitiful rhymes like "I am sad, today has been bad" will suffice.

One thing I really love about literature is that you can create it to be whatever you'd like. The analogies the authors use are incredible to me-- like, when on the surface it has one meaning, but as you dig deeper, a completely different meaning, or several different meanings are revealed. I aspire to be able to write that way. This goes for all songwriters, too. Song is poetry with a melody.

Literature and music both take you somewhere else for a while. Like I have stated before, music is my solace. A good book will suffice, too. I can never be grateful enough for these art forms.

No comments: