Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Comment About The Film Industry, And How It Applies To Life

"We need writers with ideas and passion, who write with force and conviction; directors who have minds enriched by their lives and not a library of stunts and special effects. They must be centered in their feelings and ideas in the culture and society, not in comparing grosses and applauding computer-generated ballets of violence.

We need it like we need clean drinking water and roads, green parks and libraries; it is as important as the breath of democratic life. Somehow we need to keep alive in our hearts the vision of community, shared interests and understanding of our neighbors' needs, the sense of connection this fractionated society is losing."
- An excerpt from Frank Pierson's speech on the film industry.

I believe that this is applicable in all areas of art and life in general.
It is clear that we live in a money-driven society, and it has become a necessary evil. I was just discussing this with a friend a few days ago. Coincidentally, the day after our conversation was when I came across this Frank Pierson speech. Money is the destroyer, and people will literally kill and be killed for it. It's completely absurd.

It is faith and hope that keeps me going. I have so many dreams, and I know it's cliche, but I believe in them. I really do. These days, you need to have frends in high places or lots of money to progress somewhere in life. I believe I can acheive things without that, however.

No comments: