Saturday, February 7, 2009

Interview: Nick Beard

My friend Erick caught up with Nick Beard of Circa Survive for an interview. (Thank you!) You can download the mp3 version of the interview here.

For now, here is the transcribed version of the interview with Nick:

Avant-Noise: Hi everybody, I’m Erick on behalf of Avant-Noise, music, arts and life blog here with Nick Beard of Circa Survive. Nick, say hi to the interwebs people.

Nick Beard: Hey!

A-N: So, here to ask a few questions, pretty much. How’s life been pretty much since the last tour you guys did?

NB: The Thrice tour?

A-N: Yeah. The Thrice tour.

NB: Well, for me I did the tour with Anthony, so that kept me busy and then since then we’ve just been trying to write our new album, which is hard. It’s really hard.

A-N: And how is that coming along?

NB: It’s coming.

A-N: (Redundant question) It’s coming?

NB: Yeah. It’s just, you know. You just never know when you’re done you know what I mean?

A-N: Yeah.

NB: Like, you can write forever. You can always do better than what you’ve done, so it’s kind of like…it messes with your mind, you know? You write a bunch of stuff and you’re like ‘This is good, but it can be better, let’s write more stuff. This is better, but it can be better, write more stuff, that’s even better’ and it just keeps going on and on and on so, you know, we’re working hard and hopefully when we finish it’s an album that we’re going to be proud of for the years that we tour with it.

A-N: So, so far, in it’s work in progress, do you feel like you know any kind of projected date for the release or just kind of at a certain point you’ll feel like, ‘Alright, now we can probably say something,’ as far as the release date?

NB: Yeah, I really can’t even guess because if you had asked me right after Anthony’s tour, I would have told you that it would be out in, you know, June and it just keeps going further and further back because we don’t want to stop, we want to keep working on it and we’re still trying to figure out who’s going to produce it and just all these things that still need to be put in place so we’re really just taking our time with it. This is definitely going to be the most important record that we’ve done, you know what I mean? I feel like this record has to be the best record, otherwise that’s it. You know what I mean?

A-N: Yeah.

NB: I feel like, it just has to be a good one. It has to be perfect. So we’re not going to stop until we all feel like that’s it.

A-N: So, I’ve heard something about you guys and the label and what’s the story behind that? Are you guys still on Equal Vision?

NB: No, when we signed it was just for two records so we did our two records and now…

A-N: You’re looking for something else?

NB: Yeah, I think so. They did us well, but you know, like anything else, after a while, you just want to change, you want to do something different so that’s what we’re trying to do.

A-N: Alright, cool. Well, let’s move on to, you know, you haven’t played in a while. You did those shows on the East coast and now I guess you’re doing these shows. So, how’s that been going from not playing for a while to going back to playing some shows?

NB: Yeah. Well, like I said, since I did Anthony’s tour, when we did those East coast shows, I felt fine but I feel totally jacked up after these two shows that we just did. My neck has never hurt this bad in my life. I literally feel like someone has been punching me in the back of the head for hours. I haven’t not played shows for that long in my life since I started playing music so it’s really like wow, it hurts. (laughs) But it’s cool. Shows were awesome.

A-N: Cool, you enjoy it. So, we’re going to wrap this up. What would you like to see or what do you want to do beyond the next record and stuff for the future of Circa Survive?

NB: We all want to make an impact in music. We want to, you know, do something that’s going to be remembered. I don’t know. We want to make something great that everyone…I mean, obviously, it’s never going to be that everyone loves it. You know what I mean?

A-N: Yeah.

NB: We want to go as far as we can go, we want to you know…

A-N: Do it all…

NB: We want to do it!

A-N: Keep playing music; making people happy.

NB: Yeah.

A-N: Alright, awesome, well, thanks a lot for this, man.

NB: Yeah!

A-N: Yeah!

No comments: