Sunday, December 28, 2008

Review: That Ghost- Young Fridays

If you've been reading this blog at all, you might have noticed that I am a big supporter of Ryan Schmale's music. Perhaps he is better known to you under his alias, That Ghost. He released his fourth full-length this October, however it is his first full-length release since being signed to Two Syllable Records this summer.

I was already familiar with about one third of the album prior to its release, although it was still wonderful to hear those songs on the record. Even though now signed to a label, do not for a second think that the honesty of That Ghost is gone. The music remains true, and still harbors that wonderful lo-fi and warm sound.

The track "I Can't Help It and I Can't Stop It" really surprised me, but in a positive way. It starts off with pounding drums, and then vocals and rolling guitar kick in simultaneously. "You think too much, so you give up." That line is always replaying in my head. This song has attitude, and contrasts with some of the more mellow tracks on the album.

"A Song About A Bird I Know" is so pretty and sweet. "Fly little one, little one. Fly away. Run, little one, little one. Run away. Tall, tall grass and the high white fences. Through the green, green grass and the broken fences." I love this song. It almost has a sort of lullaby quality to it. Beautiful.

Of course, older tracks like the memorable "Open Windows", dance-rock worthy (but not that typical dance-rock stuff, you know? More like, "this has more of a rock feel to it, and I could dance to this if I wanted to" type thing...) "I Crossed Out The Options" and the mellow/wonderful/nostalgic "Bedside" remain favorites.

According to Two Syllable Records, Young Fridays charted on the CMJ Top 200 at #98, which is rather impressive for an album that was released a mere two months ago.

I found my copy of 2007's Winds From Westward, still in it's awesome paper diy packaging. I honestly love it. In comparison with Young Fridays, I'd say Winds From Westward is my favorite. However, I encourage you all to purchase Young Fridays. It's perfect for winter.

I've been saying it, and I'll gladly say it again-- You will be seeing a lot more of That Ghost in the near future.

Young Fridays can be purchased for $11.99 through That Ghost's myspace.

No comments: