Friday, September 5, 2008

If knowledge is power...

I am astounded at the lack of knowledge my generation has about the world.
I am astounded by the high percentage of people who are illiterare in this country, the United States.
It baffles me.

So much for a "first world country", huh?
I feel like we aren't progressing as a nation.
And it is my hope that whoever enters office in January will evoke a wave of progression for the better.
I have my preferred candidate, although I am not a Republican or a Democrat.
I do not belong to any party.

My point is...every human has the right to education. A GOOD education. One that won't leave them illiterate or ignorant.

I am amazed at the ignorance that exists here in this country.

Whoever becomes the next President of the United States, I hope that they can do something to make a great difference and educate the people. No one should be left behind.

Today in my U.S. government class, we were given a list of 100 questions that one applying for American citizenship would have to answer. I was amazed at how much the kids in my class did not know. I didn't know ALL 100 questions, but I knew a majority of them. But that is not the point...I am not here to brag about what I did know or mope about what I didn't know.

Questions such as "Who is our Vice President?" and "What do the 13 stripes on our flag stand for?" should NOT be asked by 12th grade high school students. We're supposed to know this! It might not be the most important thing in the world if you look at the grand scheme of things, but if we were born here and intend on being here, we should know a few things about our country.

I think it's absurd how intelligence is looked down upon by some people. I will not have that. I want to continue my education. I am a life-long learner. I want to know as much as I can, and I want to pass that on to others, as well as learn from others.

No comments: