Monday, November 2, 2009

Sufjan Stevens

I recently came across an interview with Sufjan Stevens in The Guardian. Naturally, he discussed his inspiration for The BQE. He also mentioned his upcoming project entitled Music for Insomnia, which according to the article, is "an improvised synth-based album".

As for the 50 States Project, it's possible that we will not be seeing any more albums paying homage to all the American states. When asked about it, Sufjan responded with "I have no qualms about admitting it was a promotional gimmick". I'm not entirely surprised with this statement, but I did hold out hope for at least a few more albums for the project.

While Stevens is no stranger to grand projects, he mentioned that "I've feverishly, consistently, obsessively recorded, so now I've begun this self-imposed hiatus, where I'll stop releasing records and focus on writing. It's healthy for me to shake off all these pretensions and these epic conceptual endeavours."

1 comment:

raymond said...

i'm kind of excited to hear sufjan play with electronics again. HOPEFULLY this will lead to a west coast performance.
as for the 50 states project, the only ones i would have really liked to hear would probably be hawaii, alaska, and california.